Millions of people across the United States are afflicted by macular degeneration simply as a result of aging. It’s actually the leading cause of blindness in people over 55 according to the American Optometric Association.
As grim as that statistic sounds it doesn’t mean there are not ways people can fight back. One of the easiest ways to fight off macular degeneration and improve eyesight in general is through diet.
Here are 5 foods that can help improve your eyesight:
1. Kale – Kale is truly a remarkable vegetable. It’s full of an amazing mixture of antioxidants and vitamins. It’s a great source of beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin. Kale can be served in a variety of ways and is quite delicious!
2. Spinach – This edible flowering plant needs no introduction. Its health benefits are numerous. It’s another great one for improving eyesight as it is rich with lutein and zeaxanthin.
3. Corn – Corn is about the most plentiful crop in America and another awesome food to improve eye health. Like the previous two on this list it’s also full of lutein and zeaxanthin. Cook your corn a little longer to get the highest antioxidant levels per serving.
4. Eggs – Chances are you probably already like eggs so this should be an easy one. Eggs are packed with valuable vitamins like vitamin E, omega 3s, and lutein. Eggland’s Best eggs 38% more of all the good stuff in them than regular eggs!
5. Oranges – This delicious citrus fruit is great for the eyes. Oranges actually improve the health of your eye tissue! Recent studies have shown vitamin C may also help regenerate antioxidants like vitamin E.