We’ve previously gone over Lasik eye surgery numbers and statistics and thought now would be a good time to do the same for cataracts. With more Americans developing them as they get older, and medical technology finding ways to make cataract eye surgery more effective and cost-efficient, the following numbers may surprise you.
According to the non-profit Prevent Blindness America, there were over 24 million cases of cataracts in the United States for 2013.
National Cataract eye surgery numbers:
• The actual number was 24,409,978 people aged 40 and older who have cataracts
• Women are more likely to have cataracts than men
• Whites are more likely to have cataracts than blacks or Hispanics
• The age group with the highest instance of cataracts are those aged 75-79 at 3,621,656
• Over 3.6 million cataract eye surgery procedures are conducted annually in the United States with the number expected to grow
Cataract eye surgery numbers in Texas:
• Over 1.5 million cases of cataracts for 2013 in Texas, second only to:
• 2.3 million cases of myopia (near sightedness)
• 929,605 cases of hyperopia (far sightedness)
To read the numbers for yourself, click here.
And if you are interested in cataract eye surgery or related services and live in the Houston area, give us a call at 713-234-6134 or contact us.